Discover the powerof Ketamine Therapy for Depression Treatment
Ketamine Therapy is a fast-acting alternative treatment method for those who have not had success with other forms of treatment and medications.
Ketamine for Depression
The treatment of mental health issues has come a long way in recent years. Not only does having a mental health disorder no longer carry the stigma it once did, but there are also more research-backed ways to treat the symptoms. Depression is one of the most common mental health conditions that people experience, and it can affect a person at any age and from any background. Understanding more about this mental health condition helps you or your loved one get the treatment that is necessary to enjoy a more positive sense of mental wellbeing.
Ketamine For Depression Treatment
Patients with treatment-resistant major depression or treatment-resistant bipolar depression may benefit from ketamine treatment at our Bonita Springs Ketamine Clinic. Ketamine is a prescription medication that is approved for use in hospitals and other medical settings as an anesthetic. It is also now widely being used to treat depression.
Ketamine treatment is considered when patients fail to respond to other antidepressants. Ketamine’s effects last for anywhere from days to weeks. Side effects are almost always mild and short in duration and may include dissociative changes and temporary elevation of heart rate and blood pressure.
How Does Ketamine for Depression Work?
Research is still being performed to understand exactly why and how Ketamine for depression is so effective. The current understanding is that Ketamine binds to receptors in the brain that increases the amount of a neurotransmitter called glutamate that is released. This then sets off a chain of reactions within the brain that affects thinking and emotional regulation.
In simple terms, the brain reacts to Ketamine in a way that triggers hormones that help create feel-good emotions. This effect also occurs quickly after a person receives their treatment, but some people may need several treatments before they experience the highest level of benefits.
What are the Different Types of Depression?
There are several different types of depressive disorders that are defined by the severity of the symptoms and how long they last. Certain lifestyle changes, such as having a baby, may also be used to determine which types of depression a person is experiencing.
- Major Depressive Disorder – This type occurs when a person experiences symptoms that last longer than two weeks. The symptoms of depression may also be more severe than what a person with mild symptoms experiences. It is also common for this type to exist along with other forms of the condition.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder – The signs of severe depression can occasionally come and go. However, a person with persistent depressive disorder finds that they have symptoms most days for two years or more. People with this type tend to need to explore every treatment possible to find one that works. Ketamine for depression is often recommended for people with persistent symptoms.
- Postpartum Depression – Women who have recently had a baby can develop this type. It usually develops within the first few weeks after giving birth, but it can arise at any point during the first year.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – The reasons for this disorder are still not clear. However, some people find that they develop prolonged periods of low energy and a sad mood during certain times of the year. Typically, this is most noticeable during the fall and winter months.
- Bipolar Disorder – With this disorder, people swing from having depressive symptoms to experiencing periods of mania. These cycles of mood swings can happen every few weeks, or multiple times a day.
Common Signs That Someone is Depressed
Prolonged or intense periods of sadness are the most common symptoms that people experience. During these periods, a person may also lose interest in their normal activities. While some people may experience intense sadness that involves crying, others may just have a low level of satisfaction with life. As the condition continues, people tend to begin to isolate themselves from others. They may also stop taking care of their personal hygiene, and they may stop keeping their home or bedroom clean.
How Do You Find Out If You Are Depressed?
Many people notice the symptoms of depressive disorder in their life, but you do need to seek a professional diagnosis. Most counselors and physicians can make an accurate diagnosis simply by asking a series of questions to find out about how a person feels and functions from day to day. In some cases, a medical exam may be performed to rule out other health conditions. However, it is not always necessary.
Is Ketamine For Depression Right For You?
If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, and would like to learn more about the clinical use of ketamine, we can help.
The Time for Healing Is Now
With ketamine therapy, there is hope, there is help
Learn more about the innovative new treatment options that are available at MY Self Wellness